Thursday, November 29, 2007

Día de Acción de Gracias y las primeras 2 semanas

So my first week in site was filled with all kinds of small stuff. I went to the capital of the department of Jalapa, also called Jalapa, to find out how much things cost and to get some offers on a bed and dresser and table. I also just spent a lot of time trying to find things like the grocery store or the ministry of agriculture or the hospital and orient myself as I will probably need to go here at least every 1 to 2 weeks. I also spent my time trying to clean my room which was really dirty and disinfect everything that I had touched within recent times. I was doing this because after telling a nurse over the phone my symptoms, I was told I had scabies. Scabies, is a lovely parasite similar to lice except these guys spend there time burrowing and living in moist areas in your skin. The result is not pretty --- tons of bumps and rashes and a terrible itch. Thus I used a special soap for bathing and used a special cream on my body. The most difficult part is trying to make sure there is not anything in your clothes or bedding. Normally a dryer would kill these guys, but since that is not an option I either have to put everything in boiling water or in a sealed bag for 2 weeks. Both things are not really options. Luckily the next week, after seeing that the cream or the soap were not working, I would ask the doctors from Spain (see below for information on these doctors) to help me out since I was with them in person. They told me I had a fungus. Thus, I have to wash everything over again and go back to Jalapa to get different medicine, but I would say having a fungus that itches is a lot better than scabies.

Thanksgiving broke up the first week as I travelled to the capital to have a dinner there. While the vast majority of the new volunteers went to the ambassador’s house, I along with my friend Abi went to the house of the director of Peace Corps in Guatemala. The director and his family prepared a delicious meal typical of the US (cranberries, turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, pumpkin pie, etc.) After eating beans and tortillas and other Guatemalan foods for so long, it tasted as though I were eating at a 5-star restaurant. Even the Doritos were mouth-watering. I guess I did not realize how much I even missed the little things I was used to. I can only imagine what my Mom’s or Dad’s or family member´s cooking would taste like – hopefully it will only be til May when I find that out.

The second week I was extremely lucky to be able to accompany and help 2 doctors and 2 nurses from Spain who were living in the parish rectory in San Carlos Alzatate and were working in the surrounding aldeas, including mine. I knew I had wanted to do this after meeting them the week before when I had dinner with them at the rectory after helping another Peace Corps volunteer translate during our free time for 2 people who came from the US (These people were visiting the parish since their parish back in the states was supporting this one in San Carlos) (I thought I would note that that meal I had has been the most delicious meal I have had here. It was a dish with tilapia and was made by the assistant of Padre Victor, the priest who is in charge of San Carlos. Her mother also knows how to cook well since with the other 2 American the other volunteer and I also got to eat lunch at her house.)

I was having a bit of trouble getting in contact with them and low and behold when I was searching for a ride to Jalapa while walking on the way to Jalapa (transportation is not that good where I am). I ran into them twice. Not only did I get the ride, but I was able to plan with them how I could accompany them. What luck – or better yet, what a Godincidence as someone I know likes to say.

So Monday and Tuesday I was with the nurses and doctors who were screening patients. I helped with the blood pressure, and the height and weight of the patients. The hardest part was surely writing the names of the patients.

After working and talking with the staff from Spain, I was able to realize that the level of malnutrition in some people is severe. They showed my pictures of people and I saw for myself some that look like they could be ones you would see on TV for a special documentary of Agency asking for money. Padre Victor told me there are 2 kids in my aldea that need to go to the hospital because of severe malnutrition but their parents wont permit it since one of them can’t leave work to accompany them at the hospital (which would be paid for by the parish).

The people from Spain were extremely friendly and really enjoyed seeing medical workers serving others in this type of environment. I couldn’t understand everything they say though, partly because I still can’t understand everything spoken in Spanish but also because they speak with a heavy Spanish accent. They ended their 1-month stay here yesterday. I really look forward to seeing them again in the future as the plan to give up more of the time in the following year to work in the same area.
Here is a picture of the staff from Spain that I had the privelege to accompany along with the other volunteer who came along as well.

Here were are playing some basketball. I have to say that the team I was on, which was at times out numbered 5 to 3, won all three times. The other person to in the picture all the way to the left is Clara, the assistant to Padre Victor.

Here is a picture of Padre Victor.

By the way, I wanted to note that I posted a video of the kite festival that occurred on All Saint´s Day. To see it, you need to go to the previous posts in November.

No comments: