Friday, September 21, 2007

Independcia y La Gallinera

As usual, we had one day at the training center, but on Wednesday, September 12, we began constructing our gallinera for our 80 pollitos (baby chicks) and this would be quite the task not only because we are all independent and have different ideas but because we cannot spend any money of our own, the gallinera was to be 80 square feet (8 by 10 feet), we have to try to use any materials that the family has, and if necessary, the family can purchase something if they want. Well, needless to say, we reused/recycled countless things:
-we pounded out tacks and nails from skids and machine boxes to use them
-we used machine boxes and skids for wood
-we used giant thick plastic bags used at a factory as insulation
-we took apart an old rabbit cage to get only half of the 80 square feet of caging that we needed for the floor
Another hard part, now that I think about it, was the lack of tools… How did we cut all the wood to size?...using saws or machetes. How did we put in the majority of the tacks … well a hammer. Really though, it was not bad and we were more fortunate than others. We had hammers and a screw driver and even an electric drill.
The four of us volunteers plus Freddy when he returned from his job worked all evening, and then all evening Friday. Saturday, September 15 was Independence Day and unfortunately it was not quite a holiday… we spent the majority of the morning, waking up early, working on the gallinera. Thankfully, we took some time to watch the town parade… For a town of 7000, it was quite the surprise to see such a big parade. The mayor, minister of education for the department of Sacatepequez, and other figures including the towns Reina (Queen) led the parade. Following them were students from every school in the town, and probably schools from the outskirts too. Each school had their Reina too, and most schools had a few students in indigenous dress with the rest being in uniform, had a band, and had dancers. The parade ended in the center where the municipal building and band shell and stage were. There, there were be presentation and dances and other activities throughout the day.
Luckily too, in the evening I got to go to Antigua to see a little bit of the parade there, which is the capital of the department of Sacatepequez (thus meaning the parade is bigger and better) and then got to celebrate a birthday of Doña Victoria´s sister.
On Sunday, the priest again was a half hour late for the mass I came 20 minutes early too. After mass finished though, it was perfect timing because the town was finishing their Independence day festivities from where they left off Saturday. Laura and I entered in the potato sack races which were divided into 3 groups: older men, older women, and children. Both of us got 2nd place and my prize, surprisingly was 6 shot glasses and a candle. I found it funny to get that since there was not legal bar in the town and the fact that my family is Evangelical (they do not believe in many worldly things including drinking and dancing). After the race, instead of working, Abi and I convinced Freddy to play in the basketball tournament for men. We joined about 5 or 6 more random men from the town to face another team who had a uniform and played and practiced together for years. Since we did not have numbers, I was labeled el canche (the blond). Those guys played a bit rough and we got a bit hurt, but we were in the game the whole time and the ref called the game quite well… To tell you the truth, I thought we were winning the whole game but apparently not since we did not get the trophy. Still it was fun and definitely wore me out since we are up in altitude. The only other strange thing was the teams did not line up at the end of the game to congratulate each other. This confused me so much that I thought it was half time when the game was done. Apparently, congratulating the opposite team is not done here. Abi and I though, still went over to congratulate the team.
On Thursday after working each night on the gallinera, we finally finished and we received the 80 pollitos. I just hope that they last the first nights since we are not that sure how warm it will be inside. (As I am posting this since it is Friday ... I now know that all the chicks survived the first night and today we gave all 80 chicks vacines against New Castle by putting a drop of live virus in their eye -- dont worry, people cannot get this virus supposedly)

I think now I´ll explain the 10 people of the family I live with
Doña Victoria – is the head of the house and who is technically taking care of me
Mimi - daughter of Doña Victoria
Toque – husband of Mimi
Eric – son of Mimi and Toque
Doña Gloria – sister of Doña Victoria
Don Freddy – husband of Gloria
Freddy – son of Gloria and Freddy
Don Rosalio – brother of Doña Victoria
Doña Anita – wife of Rosalio
Madeline – daughter of Rosalio and Anita

Finally on a more important note, Rosalio is quite sick. He went into the hospital as scheduled on Monday to remove a substantial mass (I believe he has cystic fibroma) from his leg. However, cancer was discovered in his lungs as well as in the mass. His right leg with mass was removed today, but it is unknown what can be done after that. I am sure your prayers will be appreaciated.

My shower which has slightly electrocuted me.

Constructing the gallinera frame... Freddy, Laura, Pablo from R to L

Even earlier on when we had no frame for the gallinera ... Pablo, Eric, Laura, Freddy Jr, Abi, me, and Freddy from R to L

Cathedral in Antigua... I did not get to go inside which I´ll save for another day.... The front part of the property is where all the presentations were held for the parade in Antigua on Independence Day.

This is the parade in Antigua.... The crowds were huge

The parade in my city with a young girl dressed in one type of typical indigenous dress.

The gallinera with the pollitos.

Another view of the complete gallinera inside the small outdoor building along side the house.

1 comment:

Em said...

Joe, today I was tutoring some of my students from Guatemala and I told them about my friend who was living there. They asked to see pictures and so I showed them your blog; it turns out that one of my students has been to the Independence Day parade in Antiqua many times...I think it really blessed her day to see the pictures of it, so thanks for putting those online! And also, they liked the pollitos and said to please be careful in the shower (I say the same thing).